Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Let's Play Catch Up

The semester is over, exams are submitted, and I now have 3 weeks of a break before the summer session begins. Grayson is doing his thing, exploring the backyard, reading books, watching his favorite cartoons; I'm trying to catch up on a semester's worth of housework, maintaining a lawn, reading books that have been on hold since December; my wife is counting down the days until summer break. Not a lot has gone on lately, well except that little natural disaster we had down here in Tennessee. During the storms, only our sun room received flooding. Fortunately, it does not look to have sustained long term damage, though my wife wants to have someone come out and inspect the wood that may be rotting. I spent the better part of two afternoons cleaning out our gutters after the rains, and hope I don't have to get back up there again this season.

I have an interview at the board of education this Friday! I've already met with the principal at the school I'd like to work at, and I'm certain he intends to hire me as soon as the board gives their approval. I'm not technically going to be eligible for the transitional license until later in the summer, but hopefully I can get prior approval to be hired. My Master's degree and full licensure won't occur until next year, but I can live with that.

A rant: So, Gray and I were at the library yesterday and today. This morning, during story time, the children (typically up to age 3) sit on the floor, in chairs, or in their parent's lap. Well, there was this one child that was 3, going on 4, and he just would not sit down. He would just stand in front of the book and point at things. None of the other children could see because of him. The librarian quietly suggested that he sit on the floor, which he did not do. Fortunately (at least I thought), his mother (or grandmother) came up and told him to have a seat. He sat. For all of 7 seconds, then proceeded to stand up again. She asked him to sit down again, and he ignored her. Alright, this is where I got frustrated. I have a 21 month old who HATES sitting still, yet he can sit in a chair by himself for 5 minutes while the story is being told. This little brat not only cannot stay out of the way, but his caretaker has ZERO control over him. She must have said to him "Sit down" or "come here" a dozen times. Did she actually physically go and get him? Nope. I am guilty of making idle threats, but if I'm in public, I follow through. I can't imagine what she was thinking, with all those other parents right there hearing her. It's one thing to let your child just go wild and not care about the other kids, another to actually realize they are doing something inappropriate and still not do something about it. Grr. I wanted to take grab the child and say "IF SHE TELLS YOU TO DO SOMETHING, YOU LISTEN, YOU LITTLE SNOT NOSED PUNK!" (well, maybe not in those specific terms)

1 comment:

Kris said...

Glad the damage at your place was not worse! And good luck w/ the school thing. Glad to here that's going as well as it sounds too :-)

As for the little boy. Uggh! That would annoy me too. That's actually one reason I'm kinda glad a story time thing isn't an option here. I have a kid like that. I try my best to follow through too, but she's stronger than me... and lately its worse than normal because of the pg and having the baby. Not an excuse really but good grief she drives me nuts when she pulls something like that lol. Is one of many things we're about to start working on a little harder.