Friday, January 15, 2010

Semester begins...18 months already?

A few items on the blogging agenda this afternoon. I fear it will take quite the discipline and time management to keep this going on a consistent basis over the next few months. My class schedule is a bit of a doozy, and free time is now fully devoted to reading and writing school related topics. Not something anyone here wants to read about, I know!

Speaking of school, my first class of the semester began last night. It was nice to walk into the room and see about 2/3 of the room filled with people I already knew from the previous semester. Will definitely make the projects and group work that much easier, knowing that I can count on those classmates. It was an abbreviated night, primarily for going over the syllabus and getting to know everyone. My other two classes, Mondays and Tuesdays, won't actually meet in person until midway through February. The professor has had recent knee surgery. We'll be meeting online, so I'm not sure if that's going to be a good or bad thing. We'll see.

In more on topic news, Grayson had his 18 month well checkup this morning. He was fantastic, impressing everyone who saw him. Last night, Jennifer read him a Dora book from the library about going to the doctor. He was actually excited about going this morning. One of the benefits of having an early appointment was the lack of wait time. I'd say we were in the observation room within 10 minutes of getting signed in. Nurse asked the routine questions...no big concerns..He's at about the 75 percentile for height and 50 for weight..32 3/4 inches and 25lb 11oz. Everything on him looks good. He has 15 chompers, with breakthrough on the 16th imminent. Of course, a pleasant visit with the doctor was concluded with more vaccinations. 4 in all, I believe. He wasn't thrilled with those, but by the time he was on his feet with his pants pulled up, he'd pretty much gotten over it. The mean nurse gave him a sucker and a sticker and all was well.

We came in and immediately upon arriving, I asked him what he wanted to do. He indicated he wanted to watch Toy Story. Sigh. So we watched Toy Story for what seemed to be the 30th time in the last 30 days.

He's napping now..though he took a lot longer to settle down to sleep today than usual. No fussing, but I heard a lot of talking before silence. As tough as the first 8 months were in regards to nighttime sleeping and napping..I'm so happy for how he's developed into such a good sleeper and napper. Knock on wood..I know that fighting sleep is probably around the corner, but I can dream my son will always do this well, right?

The weather is amazing outside right now. I may take a textbook outside and read while he naps.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Hope your semester goes well! Jas' just started too... He had one that did the internet thing for part of the semester last year because his teacher got the swine flu or something crazy like that. Only she didn't tell everyone well and it caused all sorts of issues. I hope yours is better...

Very good about the checkup! Gotta love healthy thriving babies. The mean nurse thing made me laugh because there's one particular nurse we think of that way here... When Kalila was still nursing the other would let us nurse her through the shots (is easier on baby) and we had no problems. She doesn't mind the stick so much... but the other wouldn't let us do that and would hold her down harshly on the table and it made her mad & she'd scream something awful. Is like that every time now & I'm glad we're down to very few shots (one a year). Besides I really don't like how many they give at once anyway... blog post coming soon about that subject lol. Was just discussing it with someone yesterday. Point being though, I like not having to deal with so many at once anymore.